Fair Funerals – we have signed the pledge
The Fair Funerals pledge is a free and voluntary commitment:
- To recognise that funerals can be expensive and many people struggle with the cost.
- To help people to find funerals that are within their means.
- To be open about their most affordable options, including third party costs:
- in initial conversations
- within their price lists
- on their website.
Local Funeral Director agree that Funeral directors have a difficult job having to talk to people in grief about money – this requires skill and sensitivity. People are often reluctant to talk about money. By providing clear, comparable prices and making our most affordable funeral option visible, we can make a big difference to people on low incomes.
As well as helping people on low incomes, the pledge means our customers can be reassured that we take fairness and transparency seriously.
The Fair Funerals campaign is run by anti-poverty charity Quaker Social Action to tackle the root causes of funeral poverty. Since 1867 Quaker Social Action (QSA) has run practical projects supporting people in poverty. They also run the Down to Earth project which directly supports people in low incomes struggling with the cost of a funeral. The campaign tackles the underlying causes of funeral poverty. They do this in three ways:
- Educating people about their choices so they can avoid funeral poverty
- Influencing government to do more for bereaved people on low incomes
- Working with the funeral industry to make funerals more affordable