Local Funeral Director (“We”, “Us”, “Our”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
We hope the following sections will answer any questions you have but if not, please do get in touch with Us.
2. Who is Local Funeral Director
Local Funeral Director is a trading name of Low Cost Funeral Limited (company number 10119791). We are a website that offers funeral packages for cremation, you can use Our service to purchase a funeral package to be fulfilled by a funeral company We have a commercial relationship with.
This policy (together with our TERMS AND CONDITIONS and any other documents referred to on it) sets out the basis on which any personal data We collect from you, or that you provide to Us, will be processed by Us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how We will treat it.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act (the Act), the data controller is Low Cost Funeral Limited our registered office address is: The Pool House Bicester Road, Stratton Audley, Bicester, United Kingdom, OX27 9BS. We also act as a data processor for the funeral companies that We work with.
3. Explaining the legal bases We rely on
The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data, including:
In specific situations, We can collect and process your data with your consent.
For example, when you click Yes to say that We can contact you.
When collecting your personal data, We’ll always make clear to you which data is necessary in connection with a particular service.
In certain circumstances, We need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations.
For example, if you use our service to set up a funeral plan We’ll collect personal data and information from you to set up your funeral plan and provide this information to the relevant funeral plan provider.
In specific situations, We require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
We also record the age of customers and the device type customers use to access our website, to identify trends and ensure We can meet the needs and requirements of our customers to the optimum level.
4. When do We collect your personal data?
- When you visit Our Website and use Our service to compare funeral packages
- When you complete the online application form for a funeral package you have selected
- When you purchase a funeral package using Our service
- When you’ve given a third-party permission to share with Us the information they hold about you.
- When We collect information from you over the telephone
5. What sort of personal data do We collect
- When you visit Our Website and use Our service to compare funeral packages We require you to provide your name and address
- When you visit Our Website and use Our service to compare funeral packages you have the option to provide your email address and / or telephone number; you can then provide consent for Us to contact you by email or phone about your funeral package quotes
- When you complete the online application form for a funeral package you have selected We require you to provide your name, address, telephone number, email address
- When you purchase a funeral package using Our service We require you to provide your name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth, information about the deceased and payment details
- When you’ve given a third-party permission to share with Us the information they hold about you they may provide Us with your name, address, telephone number, email address and date of birth
6. IP addresses
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration, fraud prevention purposes and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns and does not identify any individual.
7. Other Information We may collect from you
- If you contact Us, We may keep a record of that correspondence
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that We use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of your visits to Our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, Weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for Our own purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that We store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive.
The cookies We use are “analytical” cookies. They allow Us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around the site when they are Using it. This helps Us to improve the way our Website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
Except for essential cookies, all cookies will expire after 2 years.
9. How and why do We use your personal data?
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from Us, where you have provided consent to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and Us.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
If you are a new customer, and where We permit your Funeral Provider to use your data, you consent to being contacted by electronic means by Us or your Funeral Provider.
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but We may provide them with aggregate anonymous information about our users (for example, We may inform them that 500 men aged under 60 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate anonymous information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, women in SW1).
We want to give you the best possible customer experience. We use the information you provide Us to provide you with funeral package quotes, so you can compare packages.
Where you have provided consent, We may contact you by phone and / or email to provide you information about your funeral package quotes and answer any questions you may have.
When you use our service to purchase a funeral package We need to collect your personal data to enable your funeral package to be fulfilled. We only ask for personal information that is required by the funeral provider.
You can withdraw your consent for Us to contact you at any time. Should you wish to withdraw your consent please let Us know, for more information about how to withdraw your consent please Click Here.
10. How We protect your personal data
We know how much data security matters to all Our customers. With this in mind, We will treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
We secure access to all transactional areas of our Websites and apps Using ‘https’ technology.
Access to your personal data is password-protected, and sensitive data is secured by SSL encryption.
We regularly monitor our system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and We may carry out penetration testing to identify ways to further strengthen security.
11. How long will We keep your personal data?
Whenever We collect or process your personal data, We’ll only keep it for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected.
At the end of that retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised, for example by aggregation with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis and business planning; such as your age and device type
Some examples of customer data retention periods:
Funeral Package purchase
When you purchase a funeral package using Our service, We’ll keep the personal data you give Us indefinitely, so We can comply with our legal and contractual obligations. We do not keep your payment details.
Funeral Package Comparison
If you have used our service to compare funeral packages and have not purchased a funeral package using Our service We will delete your personal data within 7 months.
12. Who do We share your personal data with?
Other than the events described in this clause and in clause 14 We do not share your data with third parties.
When you use our service to purchase a funeral package We will provide the funeral company that will provide the fulfilment service of the package you have requested your personal data that is required for the funeral package to be fulfilled.
For further information please contact our Data Protection Officer by post or email to email@example.com
13. Where your personal data may be processed
We only operate in the United Kingdom and the funeral plan companies that We work with are all based in the United Kingdom. The reason why your data maybe be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the EEA is because We and other organisation use cloud-based storage which may use servers located outside of the United Kingdom or outside of the EEA.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although We will do our best to protect your personal data, We cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once We have received your information, We will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
14. Disclosure of your Information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that We sell or buy any business or assets, in which case We may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Local Funeral Director or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- If We are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our TERMS AND CONDITIONS and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Local Funeral Director, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection.
15. What are your rights over your personal data?
An overview of your different rights
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data We hold about you, free of charge.
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- That We stop using your personal data for direct marketing, by any means
- That We stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
You can contact Us to request to exercise these rights at any time as follows:
To ask for your information please contact The Data Protection Officer, Local Funeral Director, The Pool House Bicester Road, Stratton Audley, Bicester, United Kingdom, OX27 9BS or email firstname.lastname@example.org . To ask for your information to be amended please contact our customer services team.
If We choose not to action your request, We will explain to you the reasons for our refusal.
Your right to withdraw consent
Whenever you have given Us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
Where We rely on our legitimate interest
In cases where We are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask Us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation.
We must then do so unless We believe We have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
Checking your identity
To protect the confidentiality of your information, We will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice.
If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, We will ask them to prove they have your permission to act.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the Websites of our partner networks, advertisers, affiliates and Websites that may or may not be of interest to you. If you follow a link to any of these Websites, please note that these Websites have their own privacy policies and that We do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these Websites.
16. How can you stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing?
We will only contact you by phone and / or email about your funeral plan quotes. If you wish to withdraw your consent for Us to contact you, you can do so in writing for further information please Click Here.
When We send you an email, about your funeral plan quotes you can opt out of receiving future emails by replying ‘unsubscribe’.
17. Contacting the Regulator
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to Us regarding the use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
You can contact them by calling 0303 123 1113.
Or go online to www.ico.org.uk/concerns (opens in a new window; please note We can’t be responsible for the content of external Websites)
18. Any questions?
If you have any questions that haven’t been covered, please contact our Data Protection Officer who will be pleased to help you:
- Email Us on:
- Or write to Us at
Data Protection Officer
Local Funeral Director
The Pool House Bicester Road,
This notice was last updated on 1st October 2018